Wednesday, 12 March 2008

Crazy . . .

One of the things that I fear out here the most, is a car accident.  Because most of the roads are fast, you are pretty much guaranteed to be shaken up pretty badly if you find yourself in a crash.  Sadly, drivers out here do not help themselves - fast cars weave in and out of traffic.  Forget the three second rule that we have in the UK, cars tailgate each other here, even at 100kph.  Today for example, I was driving down the highway at about 100kph, looked in my mirror and saw a seriously fast car coming down the outside lane to my left.  I travel on this road multiple times a day and I happen to know that 50 yards on from where I was driving, the lane disappears and merges . . . . . Fortunately, I was able to move out of the way and as the lane merged, he swerved in front of me, only to manoeuvre his car 2 more lanes to the right on to the hard shoulder as the traffic just wasn't moving fast enough to cater for his speed.  He continued on the hard shoulder for a couple of seconds before swerving back out into the fast lane.

I spoke to Tim later and he said that a Mercedes driver nearly took his bumper off on a different highway . . . . apparently the motto is "when" you have a car accident, rather than "if" . . . .  (can you see why we have big cars?!)

Yesterday was a really foggy day - Tim tells me that it gets foggy around this time of year and it was pretty bad - visibility was really low, but did this stop the bad driving?  Not a chance - drivers drove as fast as ever . . . . 

fog

Whilst 99.9% of the time, I blame the driver, here's the strange thing - cars do not have rear fog lights over here . . . . it is remarkably odd.  My car - a 2008 Ford - is imported from the US, and I have massive front fog lights on the front of the car, so it's not difficult for people to see me coming . . . . but they do not exist on the back, which leaves me a sitting target in reduced visibility.  Tim's car is the same . . . . 

Last night, the news was full of a 200 car pile up on the Dubai - Abu Dhabi road.  5 dead, 300-odd injured and 92 cars caught fire.  Horrible, horrible, horrible.

crash

Whilst I'm sure that everyone was driving both too fast and too close for the conditions, one has to ask . . . . surely fog lights on the back of cars should be mandatory out here?

No comments: