Saturday, 3 January 2009

New Year . . . Dubai Style

We are notoriously rather quiet at New Year.  Generally speaking, New Year’s Eve is a night where everyone is expected to go out and be happy – generally to a UK pub whilst the designated driver (usually me) drinks far too many diet cokes and has a sense of humour failure whilst listening to the drunkards slurring and repeatedly repeating themselves!  Sometimes, I’m just not in the mood and fancy an early night, especially as the children will always wake up sometime between 6and 7am! 

Now, before you think I’m such a misery, I don’t believe myself to be so, I just think that NYE is so often better for drinkers than non-drinkers!  Last year however, we spent a lovely night with our UK friends, just before embarking on this adventure – and I wasn’t the designated driver!

So, how would Dubai compare?  Well, fortunately, we have found some lovely people here in Dubai and we were invited to New Year at their villa.  They live so wonderfully close to the Jumeirah Beach Hotel that we were planning to go their villa for a party and then go up to their roof to watch the inevitable fantastic fireworks display at midnight.  A good plan!

However, it was not meant to be.  On 31 December, the Sheikh decreed that Dubai would cancel the regular festivities out of respect for the Palestinians.  Outdoor music was to be cancelled with definitely no fireworks.  Whilst it is clearly applaudable to think of others in dire need, I was looking forward to Dubai fireworks, especially as we had slept through the Atlantis fireworks earlier in the year!  But this year, it was just not meant to be and I don’t have any glorious photographs to post.

We continued as planned and had a lovely night with our friends.  Incidentally, at around 10pm, a thick wet fog descended upon Dubai, where visibility was about 20m, so had the fireworks been allowed, no-one would have seen a thing anyway!!

I have decided (although we still have to work out the logistics – both financial and otherwise), that I have to travel to Sydney to see their new year firework display on the harbour – and I am posting a photograph of Sydney Harbour below!  It’s on my “things to do before I die” list.

On that happy note, a Happy New Year to all.

sydney

No comments: